spunkybluecat

Our adventures in postcard exchange.

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Granny's shawl

I started working on my Grandmother's shawl for my cousin's wedding after a couple of weeks of trying to figure out HOW I wanted to do it. I've run into a problem though. This is the first time I've used my new KK long loom and I don't understand why there is so much shrinkage on just one side. When doing a flat panel I expect the sides to come in or shrink as on the left side which is the normal 2-3 pegs (for me). But what in the world is going on for the right side! It's shrinking like almost 8 pegs! I'm using the lace pattern stitch from the second Anne Bipes stitch booklet. I'm going to frog it anyway because I want it wider, I just can't understand why it's doing this.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm.... I haven't gotten the new looms yet, so it might be something to do with them-

If not, perhaps it is something in the pattern? I have not seen the pattern for that lace, but if there are a lot of yarn-overs, the tension of switching them if they all go to the left might be pulling everything that way?

11:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know what is causing the shrinkage but all flat looms seem to cause some, but not usually to such a degree.
I just wanted to tell you that the stitch pattern you are using is very pretty! I really like it. It is nice to see something other than the same ole garter stitch!
Pam

3:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This lace stitch pattern does have some biasing, especially when knitted as a flat piece. Blocking your work after it's finished should help. I've also found there's a lot more shrinkage with the long looms than the round looms.

7:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home