spunkybluecat

Our adventures in postcard exchange.

Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Getting creative...


Since the Easter buzz has started I've had a couple of people asking about my bunny slipper pattern I have on the website. The free pattern for those are BABY size. I would say about 6 month old size. I have been meaning to make a larger size for quite some time. About a month ago this huge light bulb popped up above my head and I thought, you know, a lot of people want slippers but always complain about how slippery they are. If you read the digests you know people have tried puff paints and such to give some traction to the bottom of their slippers. Well, why not have an actual sole. Cheap and easy is the way I like to do things. So, I went out and bought a pair of flip flops. $2 at Hobby Lobby or you can probably start finding them at the Dollar Tree since it's March and all the stores think you really want to try on bathing suits with your pasty white winter skin! I cut off the straps, made a piece to match the sole and another piece to go across the top of the foot (plus ears) and VOILA...adult size bunny slippers and you won't bust your rear end. I just finished it a half hour ago so I don't have anything typed up yet, of course. The flip flops were size large. I cast on 8 and knitted 28 rows. I then increased one peg on each side and knitted 4 rows, increased one peg on each side again and knitted 4 rows. Then I started decreasing one peg on each side, knitting 2 rows (decreasing, knitting 2) until I only had 2 pegs left and then combined them and removed the piece from the loom. For the top of the foot piece I would cast on 14, knit 12 rows, decrease one peg on each side and knit 2 rows until you have 2 loops left which you would combine (on one peg, ko, cut yarn and pull yarn through loop). Take the sole piece and lay it on top of your flip flop. Take a yarn needle (preferably with a sharp point, trust me, it will be easier then the blunt one I was using) and sew the piece onto the flip flop around the edge. You will need a thimble or something to help you push the needle through. Do not sew too close to the edge. I pushed the needle down through the top, out the bottom, made a stitch about a 1/4 inch long and went back up from the bottom. All the way around. The I took the top piece and matched it at the point of the flip flop and sewed around the edge of this piece making sure the sides were evenly across from each other. EARS...cast on 5, knit 12 rows, decrease one peg each side, knit 2, decrease one peg on one side, KO. Combine the last 2 loops, knit 1, cut yarn and pull through last loop. Weave in all ends. I took some pink fun fur and sewed it on the inside of the ear and used it for the nose as well. I used ww turquoise yarn for the eyes. I used Softee Chunky white yarn and Moda Dea Prima (2 strands of the Softee Chunky and one strand of the Prima all as one). I think if I make another pair I will use a different yarn. I'm thinking the thick Caron soft yarn or some white Grande. And I think I would use the flat stitch which would alter how many rows I would have to do but it will be thicker and sturdier knitted fabric. I like a lighter pink too.
Another suggestion.... I have thought about just using Lisa Sawyer's Scuffie slipper pattern and adding ears to it. You would have a slippery slipper bottom but they would be like a fitted sock and would still be really cute. Besides, I really like that slipper pattern. You can go buy it and use the ear instructions above. I have made her slippers for my kids too, but I substituted a different loom. I used one of CinDwood's looms (the child slipper size or one of the preemie hat size looms 25, 27 or29 peg).
I'll try to put this pattern together if it's incomprehensible as it is. Time, time, time, need more time. And the slipper pattern for the baby size ones still isn't working properly. I tried AGAIN tonight and decided to give up before I woke everyone up in the house with foul language. I WILL conquer this file. It WILL bend to my rules.... eventually :)

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love how you used the bottom on these! Great idea! I bet they are comfertable.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

4:30 AM  
Blogger LoomKnittingDesigns said...

OMG! I love these!!! You are so creative.

Lisa

6:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home