spunkybluecat

Our adventures in postcard exchange.

Saturday, May 05, 2007

New additions to the "farm"

These are pictures of some of my banty roosters.

This one shows a lot of the new baby bantys.
These are two new baby turkeys, very small but I've been assured they will end up huge if they don't get eaten before their time.
This is my new crested banty, bad hair day, huh?
And today we went to a local stockyard auction and came home with four new goats. Two babies and two juveniles. This is the one that Caleb claimed and named him Noble Steve. (It was supposed to be noble steed cause we were talking about the movie Shrek and how Donkey liked to be called a Noble Steed but he misunderstood me. Oh well.
Here's Ella with Noble Steve. She's not too sure of the goats just yet but I'm sure she'll be all over them as they get more used to everyone and the surroundings.
Here is Allie with the baby she claimed and named "Billy Bob." I don't know where she came up with this one but at least it isn't any of the cutesy names she usually picks out (like Sweetie and Cutie....). Allie also talked her Dad into two more bunnies. I tried the old "ask your Dad" routine hoping he would say NO for me since he hears me complain. Allie wants the bunnies really bad but doesn't take care of them and doesn't listen when I try to tell her how to. But since D doesn't mess with them I guess it doesn't matter to him. (Men!) I didn't get pictures cause they were hiding from the dogs. They have to figure out that the dogs can't get them in their pen before they venture out. The bunnies are spoiled too. They have a whole dog kennel to run around in and get fresh veggies all the time. Sometimes I think I need to trade places with some of my animals, even for a day of pampering would be nice.
This is one of the older girls but not full grown yet. I'm not really sure what kind of goat she is. Neither of the older girls have any ears. Don't no why, don't really care. She's the most timid of the four. She needs some hoof work which I'm going to do tomorrow but they are all really gentle.
This is the other girl. She wasn't sure of everyone at first either but she has been more accepting then the one above. I sat with them for a while in their stall and would scratch her neck and side and she figured out she really liked that and started sniffing me and eventually would walk up to me without any problem. She's seems more personable. I'm going to win the other one over too though. She just needs some attention. I love to spoil animals :) My husband gets upset cause one of the first coondogs he bought comes running straight to me whenever we let him in. He'll listen to me better than him too. It just kills D, but when we first got him you could tell he hadn't been socialized at all. He wouldn't come to anyone. He would run from me and bark at me. Now he's my buddy, just takes time and spoiling.

A close up of Billy Bob. He is a real sweetheart. He comes straight to you wagging his little tail and licks on you. He sat in my lap and fell asleep for a little while. Too cute!


Both babies have such beautiful markings. They are both boys. All four are very curious too. They are all going to be a lot of fun to watch grow and explore their new surroundings. We plan on getting some more. I want to get some sheep as well and tried to today but the old farmer farts kept outbidding me. I got all four of our goats for under $100. That's a good deal to me. I still think I could probably have done better. I think the auctioneer could tell I was a newbie. Easy to get railroaded when he's going fifty miles an hour. Live and learn though. Well, have to do some fence repair work tomorrow....

I need some help naming my girls. Give me some ideas, please. Maybe I'll send the best response a surprise box (for loom knitting purposes). One for each name I choose.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are all so darn cute!
I bet your kids are loving it.

Dora Renee' Wilkerson

1:20 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home